Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Flight of the Old Dog


Picture of the Day for 4/28/2010. Upon the recommendation of a certain "friend" of mine who loves all things aviation-related (I know, I know- I'm being overly coy since my readers know full well which "special" friend I'm referring to), I'm reading "Flight of the Old Dog." This is Dale Brown's first novel which was published in 1987, still within the Cold War era. Here's the overview from the back cover of the book:

It is the riveting story of American's military superiority being surpassed as our greatest enemy (Soviet Union) masters space-to-Earth weapons technology--neutralizing the U.S. arsenal of nuclear missiles.


America's only hope: The Old Dog Zero One, a battle scarred bomber (B-52) fully renovated with modern hardware--and equipped with the deadliest state-of-the-art armaments known to man.

It's been an interesting read, but my oh my, the author goes waaaay overboard on the technical descriptions. Here's a sample:

"Ten degrees to roll-out," Luger reminded the pilot, "Drift is zero, so heading is still zero-one-zero. Radar, I'll correct gyro heading after roll-out. Pilot, don't take the FCI until it's displayed on the EVS scope."

Whew! That's a typical example of the prose I've been slogging through. At least I'm in the home stretch; I only have about 60 pages to go. I estimate that I'll finish sometime this year. ;-)


I don't have my next book selected yet, but I do know it will be something fluffy and shallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment