Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Basket


Picture of the Day for 4/4/2010. Went to my sister Paula's house for dinner. She had an Easter basket for me. Yay! It is my contention that one is NEVER too old to get an Easter basket. My mother certainly subscribed to that philosophy. Up until a few years ago, my 80-something mother insisted that we color Easter eggs on the Saturday afternoon before Easter and that my dad and I participate in an Easter egg hunt on Sunday morning. My mother would hide precisely 24 eggs. To begin the hunt, she would hand us our baskets, make us stand at the entrance to the living room, and then give us the go-ahead to start searching. My poor dad- he never stood a chance against my prodigious egg-hunting skills. He would routinely get creamed in this competition. That didn't mean he stopped trying. He'd usually elbow me out of the way in an attempt to get a head-start on the hunt. One Easter, my dad surprised me by picking me up by the waist and flinging me behind him. This was truly an amazing act of strength considering he was in his mid-80s at the time and I ain't no delicate flower (to put it mildly). I was in the grocery store yesterday and I overhead a mother telling her daughter that Easter baskets are only for children. I'm so glad my mother didn't believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment