Monday, November 15, 2010

Incredulity Carried Too Far


Picture of the Day for 11/11/2010. I finally got around to reading Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol." I enjoyed "The DaVinci Code" so I was unprepared for how much I hated this book. In "The Lost Symbol," the main character, Robert Langdon, is drawn into a mystery involving Masonic history, symbols, and practices in Washington D.C. At every turn, he vehemently denies that the Masonic "myth" under discussion can possibly be true despite eventually being confronted by the truth of each myth or legend. "Surely not," he repeatedly exclaims. (OK- that was paraphrasing, but it conveys the gist of his predictable reaction.) Langdon's irritating skepticism persisted until the very bitter end. I felt like kicking him in the shins.

No comments:

Post a Comment