Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Trendy Reader


Picture of the Day for 6/22/2010. I've started reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," the first book in a trilogy by Stieg Larsson (a Swedish author). His books are all the rage right now- very trendy. Below is a plot summary from Amazon.com:

Mikael Blomkvist, a once-respected financial journalist, watches his professional life rapidly crumble around him. Prospects appear bleak until an unexpected (and unsettling) offer to resurrect his name is extended by an old-school titan of Swedish industry. The catch--and there's always a catch--is that Blomkvist must first spend a year researching a mysterious disappearance that has remained unsolved for nearly four decades. With few other options, he accepts and enlists the help of investigator Lisbeth Salander, a misunderstood genius with a cache of authority issues.

Ususally, I'm not a fan of trendy books, but I'm glad I started reading this novel. I can understand the appeal- it's well-written and the characters are fascinating.

On a completely random tangent, whenever I see the author's name, Stieg Larsson, I think of Sig Hansen, one of the fishermen from the Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch" show. I have quite a little crush on Sig. Maybe it's just my Norwegian heritage responding to another Norwegian. ;-)

3 comments:

  1. :) my favorite hansen is edgar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as it isn't an Oprah's Book Club pick...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aurora- Edgar is cute too.

    Corinne- Sadly, I have some Oprah Book Club picks in my possession. I have plans to dispose of them...

    ReplyDelete