Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Threatening Skies


Picture of the Day for 6/9/2010. The skies were threatening over Bountiful, Utah tonight. Sadly, nothing really came of it. I say sadly because I love violent weather. There was a pretty dramatic lightening storm that shook my house a few days ago. Loved it. I clearly inherited this from my dad. I have fond memories of him sitting out on the porch whenever there was lightening to watch zig zag across the sky. My mother, on the other hand, hated lightening and stayed safely tucked inside the house while demanding we get off the phone since the electrical current might come through the phone and zap us. I usually decided to join my dad on the porch.

My most dramatic encounter with violent weather occurred almost 20 years ago while I was working in Yellowstone National Park. I was out hiking one day when a very intense storm struck out of nowhere. I was a couple of miles away from my dormitory and had no choice but to keep walking alongside the road in the deluge. A man in a truck stopped to see if I needed a ride. The most notable thing about this man was the fact he had a shotgun mounted in the rear window of his truck. Eek. I had to make a split-decision- do I go with shotgun guy or take my chances with the lightening strikes hitting far too close for comfort? I chose shotgun guy who turned out to be a very lovely fellow. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment