Sunday, June 20, 2010

Travel Odyssey


Picture of the Day for 6/16/2010. I'll get back to this picture in a second. For now, I need to launch into a tale of travel that rivals the The Odyssey. (OK- maybe that's an exaggeration, but I did have a bit of an adventure getting to my destination.) I was scheduled to take an 8:00 p.m. flight to Las Vegas and then catch a 10:00 p.m. red-eye flight to Fort Lauderdale. When I arrived at the airport, I learned that my flight from Vegas to Fort Lauderdale had been canceled. Eek. At first I was informed that Delta Airlines wouldn't be able to get me to Florida until Friday evening. Unacceptable, especially since that would give me less than 24 hours in Florida before I had to fly home Saturday afternoon. I ended up with a great ticket agent who spent about a 1/2 hour finding a creative way for me to get to Florida early the next morning. She put me on a flight to Phoenix. From Phoenix, I took a flight to Atlanta. From Atlanta, I took a flight into West Palm Beach. From the time I hopped on the 8:00 p.m. flight to Phoenix, it took me precisely 12 hours to make my way to Florida. It was a loooong night, but I could have kissed the ticket agent for working her magic with the flights.

Anyway, back to the photo of the day. As if my traveling schedule wasn't causing enough stress, both straps on the carry-on bag holding my laptop computer snapped. I was lucky to find a replacement bag in a gift shop at the Phoenix airport.

One perk to my rescheduled flights was the fact I got to fly first-class from Phoenix to Atlanta. In all my 47 years, I've never flown first-class before. Let me just say it was a revelation. First-class passengers have an entirely different flying experience than the coach passengers. I tried to take a stealth picture of the first-class cabin without looking like a gawking hayseed, but the best I could do was to snap a photo of the bottles of water and the headphones waiting for us at our seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment