Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Winter Park, Florida


Picture of the Day for 4/30/2011. I spent the day exploring Winter Park, Florida- a small and picturesque town just a few miles north of downtown Orlando. I've always wanted to visit ever since reading a magazine article about the place and hearing how a neighbor used to live there when her husband was stationed at a nearby air force base.

Winter Park is situated near several small lakes that are interconnected by a series of canals. As you can see from the photo above, I went on a scenic boat tour of the lakes and canals.

Below is Lake Osceola. The tour also took us to Lake Virginia and Lake Maitland, but I'm only including one picture since the lakes look pretty much the same.


The narrow canals surrounded by dense foliage were my favorite part of the tour.




Apparently, Mr. Rogers (you know- THE Mr. Rogers of Mr Rogers' Neighborhood fame) owned a home on one of the lakes. I was a serious Mr. Rogers fan as a 5-year-old so I perked up when the tour guide pointed out his house. Sadly, I wasn't able to snap a photo in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment