Friday, April 29, 2011

So Close...


Picture of the Day for 4/29/2011. Got up at 4:00 a.m. this morning in order to be at the pick-up location at 5:00 a.m. for the bus ride from Orlando out to the Kennedy Space Center to see the 4:00 p.m. launch of STS-134. The early start was required because Homeland Security needs sufficient time to inspect each of the vehicles that drive out to the viewing area on the NASA causeway.

Launch days are a mob scene at the Kennedy Space Center. We were given a few hours to hang out at the visitors center complex before re-boarding the bus out to the causeway. I thought I had returned to the bus at the appointed time, but apparently I was late and the tour guide had been frantically looking for me. Oops. The rest of the passengers clapped when I arrived.


It wasn't until we had arrived at the causeway that we learned the launch had been scrubbed for the day due to a mechanical problem with the shuttle. Dang. So close! I really had high hopes for the launch to go as planned today.


The next attempt is scheduled no earlier than next Monday. I guess that means I'll be extending my stay in Florida for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment