Saturday, April 23, 2011

Christmas, Florida


Picture of the Day for 4/23/2011. I was sitting in my hotel room this morning wondering how I was going to spend the day when the housekeeper arrived to clean my room. We struck up a conversation and she mentioned that she lived in Christmas, FL- about 10 miles west of Titusville, FL where I'm currently staying. Based on her description of the Fort Christmas Historical Park, I decided to drive out to the town.

During the 2nd Seminole Indian War, the U.S, army began construction of a fort (replica pictured below) on December 25, 1837- hence the name of the fort and the community that was established in the area

The park is also home to several restored historical homes from the area that show pioneer life from the 1870s through the 1930s.



After exploring Fort Christmas, I continued on a few miles further to the Orlando Wetlands Park where one of the guides took me on a 2-mile ride through the park. The pictures below don't do justice to the landscape. It was beautiful.


My tour guide, Joey (pictured below), tried to find an alligator for me (of which there are estimated to be several hundred in the park), but they must have been hiding since we didn't see a single one. Dang.


I love happy accidents. Before this morning, I was completely unaware of Christmas, FL and the Orlando Wetlands Park. I had a really great day exploring the area and all thanks to a completely chance conversation with the hotel housekeeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment