Friday, April 29, 2011

Lunch with Scrappy


Picture of the Day for 4/28/2011. A friend and I had lunch today with Colonel Howard C. Johnson, more commonly known as Scrappy Johnson. (This picture isn't terribly flattering of me, but I selected it since I was amused by my hair flying all around my face. My hair and Florida don't really get along and this is what my hair looks like at any given time here- a little out of control.)

Scrappy served in World War ll, Korea, and Vietnam. He has the distinction of breaking the world's altitude record in 1958 by flying to a height of 91,249 feet in an F-104A Starfighter. After lunch, my friend spent an hour grilling Scrappy on the details of this record-breaking flight for an article he's writing. Scrappy is 91 years old, but as sharp as they come. I can barely remember last week so it was with a sense of awe that I listened to him relate detailed facts and figures from over half a century ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment