Saturday, May 21, 2011

Smooth Talker (Or, I May Have Creeped Out Elaine Viets)


Picture of the Day for 5/19/2011. One of my favorite authors is Elaine Viets. I'm a big fan of her dead-end job mystery series. She had a book signing today at the Broward County Main Library in Ft. Lauderdale, 45 minutes away from where I was staying in West Palm Beach. I was delighted that I was close enough to be able to attend. As she was autographing the books I had presented to her to sign, I mentioned that I was from Salt Lake City. This generated a lot of amazed commentary among the women within earshot of this announcement- almost as if I had declared I was from Mars. I assured them I had not traveled all the way from Salt Lake City JUST for this event. Then I realized that sounded rather dismissive and rude so I overcompensated by saying that of course I WOULD come out for a book signing, but then that just made me seem like a scary stalker. Sigh. I hate it when I tie myself up into a verbal knot. Sadly, this happens more frequently than I would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment