Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Father's Day and the World's First KFC

Picture of the Day for 6/17/2012. Started off the day by attending church. My sister Paula had been asked to give one of the Father's Day speeches since she is the most recent person in our congregation to have lost a father. Of course, I fall into that category since we share the aforementioned father, but I'm glad she was the victim, er, I mean the one selected to speak. I pretty much figured I would cry during her speech and sure enough I did. Paula did a lovely job. She read some excerpts from talks our father, who had a lovely turn of phrase, had given about being the father of daughters. He was crazy about us. We were crazy about him.

Upon my arrival at church, my great-niece Sadie immediately came over to show me her pretty pink dress. Of course I took a picture.


My great-niece Hayley was also wearing a cute dress, so I had to document that as well.


Hayley had a notebook in which she was writing furiously. She loves to write stories. So help me, if that girl publishes a novel before I do... I'll be very proud. And jealous. And kicking myself for being a big talker about wanting to write a novel, but never doing anything about it.


After church, I went with my sister Robynne's family to KFC in honor of my dad who LOVED KFC. This wasn't just any KFC. It happens to be:

-The KFC around the corner from my dad's company. He'd run over there nearly every single workday for lunch.

-The WORLD'S FIRST KFC franchise, as documented by the awning pictured below.


There's a ton of KFC memorabilia at this location, including one of Colonel Saunder's iconic white suits..


...and a statue of Colonel Saunders (on the left). My nephew looks quizzical...


..but he quickly warmed up.


The day ended with a lovely sunset that my dad would have surely appreciated. He never got tired of the beautiful scenery here in the Rocky Mountains. The last couple of years he was alive, I would take him on drives around the city and through the canyons and he would always exclaim, "what a beautiful elegant day." Like I said, my dad had a way with words.

No comments:

Post a Comment