Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Little Bit of Geek Heaven


Picture of the Day for 1/15/2011. I had most of the day to kill before my flight back to Salt Lake City late this afternoon so I decided to visit the Griffith Observatory high in the Hollywood hills where you can see fabulous views of Los Angeles (as pictured below).

This was my first visit to the 75-year old observatory and my nerdy, space-loving self was totally geeking out over the experience and the exhibits.


Below is a Foucault pendulum. (You'll have to google this. I'm not up to explaining it in this blog entry.)



The facility has a solar telescope that transmits live pictures of the sun to a screen in the visitor's center. Th
is was my favorite of the exhibits.

In addition to the solar telescope, the observatory also has a 12-inch refracting telescope. I'm about to sound like a pamphlet, but I thought this statistic was interesting- "More people have looked though it than any other telescope in the world."


I liked the murals of astronomers throughout the ages lining the entrance rotunda.


I'm a bit of a jewelry junkie which I've always considered to be a very different passion than my interest in space so I almost hyperventilated when I saw this timeline of the universe depicted using over 2,000 pieces of jewelry that a patron of the observatory had collected over the course of 25 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment