Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Bastion of Male Dominance Has Cool Artwork


Picture of the Day for 1/12/2011. I attended a business meeting at the Alta Club in downtown Salt Lake City. Until today, I had never crossed the threshold of this former bastion of male dominance and power (i.e., a men's social club). Since 1986, women have been admitted to the club, but that does not make it any less snooty. I was taking a photograph of a original painting by a famous artist I quite like (Minerva Teichert) and the two women sitting next to the painting kind of sneered at me while I did so. Oh well. I was pleased to see all the original artwork on the walls. After the meeting disbanded, I stayed for a few minutes to wander the halls so I could examine the artwork. I quite like this "Picture of a Girl" painted in 1930 by Viktor Orlov.

No comments:

Post a Comment