Saturday, September 18, 2010

Utah State Fair


Picture of the Day for 9/17/2010. I attended the Utah State Fair for the first time in about 20 years. I thought I would start off this blog entry with the cutest picture I took last night- a piglet with its hooves resting on its mother.

Once I arrived at the fair, I headed straight for the chickens. As you might be aware from previous blog entries, I'm a little obsessed with chickens. I don't know why and I realize it's rather weird. That being acknowledged, here is a selection of chicken photos.





I attended the fair with my sister Paula's family and some of my niece Corinne's friends. Pictured left to right are: Dane, Paula, Renee, Marianne, Kellie, Sharon, and Corrine. Dane and any female wearing a white shirt are family members. (The white shirt thing is merely a coincidence. We don't have a family uniform.) The others are Corinne's friends.


We visited the animal exhibits and saw bunnies...

And cows...

And sheep...

And pigs.


We also visited the agriculture exhibit...

Where I saw my first-ever sheaf of wheat (yes, I lead a very urban existence)...

And pumpkins, of course! I'm just as obsessed with pumpkins as I am with chickens.


We decided it would be prudent to go on the rides before 12-year-old Dane consumed any food. I headed straight for the Ferris Wheel. Apparently, I'm the only family member who is unafraid of heights. I had a lovely ride and view of the fair.


Renee and Dane rode The Scrambler for what ended up being a really, really long time. The carnies running the ride were so uninterested in their duties (one was talking on his cell phone) that they let it go on forever until people were just begging them to stop the ride.

After the rides, we ate dinner. I tried the fried bacon dipped in chocolate sauce (don't judge me- you're supposed to eat crap at a state fair). I had been excited to taste it since the dish contains three of my favorite things- fried food, bacon, and chocolate. Meh. It was just OK.

After dinner, we checked out the creative arts. Renee was particularly interested in seeing the quilts.



And what better way to end the experience than checking out a quintessential state fair exhibit- a butter sculpture.

No comments:

Post a Comment