Sunday, September 12, 2010

Clean Bedroom


Picture of the Day for 9/12/2010. I'm finally making progress getting my house cleaned and organized. It was so frustrating having all this time on my hands while I was recuperating from surgery and not being able to lift a finger (per doctor's orders) to work on the house. Since I returned to active employment this past week, I considered myself officially healed and decided to tackle my bedroom. I spent the entire weekend washing every wall and surface- basically every nook and cranny. I think I'm the only person in the 50+ history of the house to ever take out all the drawers from the built-ins and wash them, along with washing the interior walls of the built-ins. It was pretty gross. I'm pretty sure my lungs are coated with several inches of dust. I also suspect I still have cobwebs in my hair. Ick.


As you can see, the room looks pretty spartan. That's OK for now. I'm just happy it's pristine. I'll focus on decorating (and painting and replacing the floral curtains and replacing the flooring) after I finish cleaning the other rooms and unpacking all my boxes.


Let me point out the curtains are open. This may not seem notable, but it's a big deal to me. My mother never opened the curtains in her bedroom. At most, she occasionally opened up the living room curtains for very brief periods of time. It's taken awhile to realize that as an adult, I am free to open any curtain I want at any time. Wow- the freedom.



In honor of my mother, I hung a picture on her side of the room that used to hang in my parents' cabin. My mother always said this print reminded her the rolling hills and Bluebells of east Texas where she grew up.

4 comments:

  1. looks great but so different! I don't know how I feel about this...I miss the dark blue plaid and I miss sitting on the floor watching wham videos...i can still see that room in my head and I remember how it smelled...grandma smell...I miss grandma smell.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fun watching Wham videos with you girls. Renee was over here recently and said the house still smells the same. I can't tell since I live here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does have a distinct, pleasant smell. (Although it's been a while since I've been over.) It makes me happy to see the windows open and the room looking bright! Do I recall correctly that the original flooring is cork? Will you restore it?? So cool!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey EBU Michelle. You are right- the original flooring is cork. I'm working on getting all my stuff unpacked and the top floor of the house clean. After that, I'm going to work on improvements. I'm definitely planning on ripping up the carpet. I'm hoping the cork is still in good condition.

    ReplyDelete