Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Twelve O'Clock High


Picture of the Day for 8/30/2010. I picked up this DVD on a whim from Costco for $6.99. I had never seen this movie before and now I'm obsessed with it. It's a World War ll film released in 1949 about a tough as nails general (played by Gregory Peck) who assumes command of a bomber pilot unit suffering from low morale and poor performance. There are only a few action sequences as the filmmakers were more interested in exploring philosophical themes like leadership, loyalty, and how much "maximum effort" the troops can give before they crack. In reading about the film, I've learned that surviving bomber crew members claimed it was the most accurate depiction of their experiences in the war and the military has used this film for leadership training. Pretty impressive. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Gregory Peck is pretty.

2 comments:

  1. have you ever seen "the best years of our lives"? it's a fantastic film about three men after their return home from WWII. the last time I saw it on TCM, I learned that Bette Davis, who was not in the film or had anything to do with it, called it the best film ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. anything wwII excites me...I approve...I've never seen gregory peck in his younger years..ya, I'm kinda liking this picture...

    ReplyDelete