Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Milton Lubar is Gone

Picture of the Day for 3/18/2014. When my dad was in the Navy in World War ll, he was buddies with Milton Lubar, a Jewish man from Massachusetts. I love the fact that these two men with such disparate backgrounds became friends. "They" remained in contact for the rest of their lives. I use the word "they" loosely since it was mostly my mother and Milton's wife Louise who corresponded. I believe they only saw each other once after the war- either in the 1980s or 1990s when my parents had a layover in Boston. I remember my parents saying that Milton said he would have known my dad anywhere- that he hadn't changed that much. That's quite true- my dad looked pretty much the same his whole life. 

I realized I had never sent a note to the Lubars letting them know my dad had passed away. When I was doing an address search online, I discovered Milton's obituary. He passed away last year. I have felt so sad about this, but on the other hand I like to think my dad and Milton have met up on the other side and have reminisced about the war and and their life experiences. I hope they're still buddies. 


And in honor my dad and his World War ll buddy, I'm posting some pictures of my dad from that time.




No comments:

Post a Comment