Monday, July 2, 2012

Polly Merrill in New York City


Picture of the Day for 6/30/2012. I spent some time clearing out the closet in the front hallway and discovered some family photos I had never seen before. I immediately fell in love with this picture of my mother on a ferry to or from the Statue of Liberty. It's fun seeing her outside her normal milieu. I particularly like the composition of the photo and how she's the only one facing the camera.

I'm wondering if this is the famous (in Merrill family lore) trip to New York where my parents were riding down a hotel elevator with another couple and introduced themselves. Upon hearing my dad's name was Robert Merrill, the couple asked him if he were THE famous opera star Robert Merrill. My dad replied "yes" thinking that the couple would surely realize he was joking. They didn't. They were so delighted to meet THE Robert Merrill that my dad was too embarrassed to correct the mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment