Sunday, April 8, 2012

Family Crests


Picture of the Day for 4/8/2012. I sat next to my nieces (ages 35 and 24) at church today. When the topic turned to the glories of motherhood, we all kind of emotionally checked out (given the fact that all three of us are single and childless). Instead of listening to the speaker, we started drawing family crests that would appropriately reflect the values of our respective families. I immediately thought of desserts. We Merrills have a ferocious sweet tooth and my dad was famous for consuming a bowl of ice cream every single night of his life before going to bed. He was so committed to ice cream that he even found a way to obtain it during his stint on Guam during World War ll- amazing given the shortage of supplies during the war and the fact he was on a tropical island. My dad worked in the supply depot and requisitioned himself an ice cream maker and ice cream mix. At nights when he was off duty, he would purloin salt from the mess halt, get ice from the ice maker down on the docks, and return to base to make a batch of ice cream for the men in his barracks. I'm sure the guys loved my dad.

In case you can't tell, that's a bowl of ice cream in the picture. I drew the ice cream and the mottos. My niece Corinne added the arms (one arm is holding a severed head and the other arm is brandishing a spoon) and the Viking-like helmet. I thought the helmet was a nice touch, even if it does have the unfortunate effect of making the scoops of ice cream look like boobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment