Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Amish Documentary


Picture of the Day for 4/2/2012. I watched an American Experience documentary about the Amish tonight while I was working out at the gym. It was fascinating. The show addressed the 2006 incident where a gunman entered an Amish schoolhouse and shot ten girls, five of whom died. The pastor for the gunman's family was interviewed and said that the same night of the shooting, one of the Amish neighbors visited the gunman's family and "it was like grace had walked in the door" for that family that was just as devastated by the event as the Amish victims. I was struck by that phrase "grace had walked in the door." It was lovely. It also made me cry. I'm sure the men working out on the treadmills next to me were wondering why I had burst into tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment