Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Interest in Aviation


Picture of the Day for 10/20/2010. It's official. I'm an aviation nut. There are some solid pieces of evidence supporting this claim:

-I now subscribe to Smithsonian's Air & Space magazine. (It's an odd companion to my subscription to Country Living, wouldn't you say?)

-Today I realized I could carry on a detailed and knowledgeable conversation about the F-104 supersonic aircraft. Were you aware that the famed Chuck Yeager crashed one of these planes? If you're interested, let me know and I'll outline the technical reasons behind the crash.


-I've been flirted with by Bob Gilliland, the first pilot of the SR-71 Blackbird. Of course, that's not saying much since he's quite a flirt. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it though.

-I am in possession of several autographs from famed test pilots.

-I'm seriously considering joining the Flight Test Historical Association.

-I've attended an air show at Edwards Air Force Base as a VIP. (To be fair, I was in the company of an aviation VIP so I can only claim to be a VIP hanger-on.)

-I've attended more than one banquet honoring famous aviators.

I'm wondering if this interest isn't inherited from my father who used to fly small planes. He wanted to fly during World War ll, but ended up in the Navy instead (long story) for which I'm glad given the short life expectancy of an aviator during the war. My father recently asked if we could go out to the airport. I inquired if he wanted to observe the planes landing/taking off or if he wanted to fly a plane. He gave me a "that was the dumbest question I've ever heard look" and emphatically stated he wanted the "fly the blighters, of course." That made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment