Saturday, October 23, 2010

No Broadway Showtunes for Me


Picture of the Day for 10/22/2010. I've been taking voice lessons for several years. It turns out what I really needed in order to improve my voice was to get the 12 pound mass removed from my abdomen that was preventing me from breathing correctly. It's amazing how the quality of my voice has changed since my surgery in July.

Anyhoo, back to the voice lessons. I could tell my teacher, Bonnie, was getting sick of the two songs I've been working on for most of the year because she informed me during last week's lesson that it was time for new material. We had a tiny skirmish over the types of songs that would be selected. She pulled out a book of Broadway showtunes which made me a little nervous. I used to love showtunes, but the older I get, the more intolerant I am of Broadway shows. The perky songs make me cranky. I knew I was in trouble when Bonnie opened the book to a song from "Mame." Fortunately, I was able to steer her towards a jazz songbook instead. I love jazzy/bluesy torch songs. When I visited the music store, I also snagged a copy of one of my all-time favorite songs- "What'll I Do" by Irving Berlin. It's very melancholy which I love. The more melancholy and tragic the song, the happier I get. Isn't that perverse? It's kind of like how excessive sunshine makes me depressed while dark gloomy weather makes me happy. I suspect in a previous life I was a brooding author who roamed the gloomy moors of England.

No comments:

Post a Comment