Monday, January 18, 2010

A Day on the Base


Picture of the Day for 1/15/2010. This picture illustrates what can happen when you wait all day to take the "perfect" picture. The opportunity eventually slips away and you're left with no picture, perfect or otherwise. Oops. Right before midnight I hurried and snapped a picture of this book to have some documentation of how I spent my day. My friend Al and I spent the entire day at Edwards Air Force Base. He's writing an article profiling the "drop pilots" who flew the B-52s that "dropped" the X-15, an experimental hypersonic aircraft that was flown primarily in the 1960s. A bit of trivia for you- Neil Armstrong was an X-15 pilot before he became an astronaut. With his contacts, Al was able to finagle a guest pass for the two of us. We visited the on-site aviation museum and then he spent a couple of hours with the resident historian looking for photos and documents related to his research topic. The lovely museum curator (Tony) gave me a copy of the book shown above as a souvenir.

No comments:

Post a Comment