Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Miss Navajo

Picture of the Day for 9/25/2013. I've mentioned previously in this blog that I'm a bit of a documentary nerd. I love watching documentaries! And, I'm fascinated by Native American history which was one of the major areas of study for my masters degree in English/American Studies. The perfect marriage of these two interests is Miss Navajo- a documentary released in 2006 that follows Crystal Frazier as she competes in the annual Miss Navajo pageant where contestants are graded on their knowledge of Navajo history, language, and customs. I suspect it's the only beauty pageant in the world where the young women are expected to butcher a sheep! I stumbled upon this hour-long documentary on Netflix today and thoroughly enjoyed watching it.





No comments:

Post a Comment