Monday, October 8, 2012

National Aviation Hall of Fame Enshrinement Banquet

Picture of the Day for 10/6/2012. I attended the National Aviation Hall of Fame enshrinement banquet. Through a series of serendipitous events, I ended up sitting at one of the head tables with Eileen Collins (first female space shuttle commander) and Rhea Woltman (a member of Mercury 13- a group of female aviators who were briefly considered as astronaut candidates during the beginning years of the space program). Rhea was there to accept the induction award on behalf of her Mercury 13 compatriot Jerrie Cobb who was unable to attend. Eileen Collins is friends with the Mercury 13 women and even had them attend her shuttle launches so she was a natural choice to present the award. Since this event is the equivalent of the Oscars for the aviation world it was a BIG DEAL that I ended up among the company I did. I did have to laugh. Everyone, not just Eileen and Rhea, at the table was so accomplished. My little achievements pale in comparison.That's probably because they don't waste time watching Project Runway religiously like I do.

My initial excitement at being seated at the same table as Eileen Collins was dimmed once I realized the centerpiece obscured my view. Tall centerpieces should be banned from banquet tables! 
Fortunately, it all worked out in the end and I was able to hear most of the conversation. 

And, I was able to get a picture of myself with Eileen and Rhea. Eileen is so personable and Rhea is grand old broad (and I mean that in the best possible way- I'd love to be like her when I'm her age). It was fun getting to spend some time with them this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment