Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Civic Duty

Picture of the Day for 10/2/2012. My neighbor, who lives a few houses down the street from me, applied for a "conditional use" permit to operate an accounting business out of his home. I showed up at the hearing where he made his case in front of my city's community council. I attended because I was all set to fight this, but upon hearing the plan (which was ultimately approved by the council), I feel OK. He can have no more than four scheduled appointments each day Monday through Thursday during the February through April tax season and no more than four scheduled appointments per month the rest of the year. He can only have one part-time employee and this employee and all clients have to park in his driveway.

My sister Paula is a member of the council (2nd from the right in the picture) and it was interesting to see her in action. She asked some pointed questions on behalf of the neighbors who had approached her with their concerns about the proposed plan. The applicant and his wife started to take offense, but Paula was good at diffusing the tension.

No comments:

Post a Comment