Monday, August 26, 2013

Erma's Wedding Photos

Picture of the Day for 8/26/2013. It was my neighbor Erma's 88th birthday yesterday so I ran over to give her a little birthday gift (it's the same thing every year- two boxes of herbal tea which she loves) and to chat. In the 40 years I have known her, I've never seen a photograph from Erma's youth so I asked if she had any photos from her wedding she could show me. She had an album right on hand and we had fun going through the pictures. She was married on August 31, 1945, just a few days after she turned 20. She said her husband Don, who was several years older than she was, refused to marry a teenager and insisted they wait until after she turned 20. 

The album also included pictures from the first few years of their marriage. Don was a pilot in the Air Force and General Douglas MacArthur's navigator during MacArthur's years in Japan following World War ll. I know Erma and Don lived in Japan at least until 1951. Don was away on duty with MacArthur when Erma went into labor with her twin girls. She showed me a picture of the Japanese man who was assigned to help out Erma in whenever Don was called away. Erma was telling me this man drove her to the hospital when she was in labor, dropped her off at the front door. and wished her good luck! My life seems so tame compared to all the adventures she had being an Air Force officer's wife and living all over the world. 




No comments:

Post a Comment