Friday, July 2, 2010

Getting Ready to Visit Aunt Paula


Picture of the Day for 7/1/2010. My birds get to stay with their "Aunt Paula" whenever I go out of town. I believe they thoroughly enjoy their visits (despite their "Uncle David's" threats to BBQ them) since they have a lot more company during the day than they do at my house where they are left to their own devices for 12-14 hours a day. Getting them to Aunt Paula is another matter entirely. The entire process is very traumatic (for me and the birds). Cora (the white bird) perceives my efforts to clean the cage as a blatant attempt to kill her. In order to evade my murderous clutches, she flings herself around the cage in distress which only serves to prolong the ordeal. Malcolm (the blue bird) watches the whole process impassively. He only becomes agitated when I carry the cage out to the car. Malcolm is so convinced I'm transporting him to certain death that he flings himself to the bottom of the cage in such a violent manner that sometimes I think he has either killed himself, or at the very least, broken a wing. Cora observes this whole process impassively. By the time we get to Aunt Paula's house (which is only a block away), I'm exhausted and very happy to hand over my overly-sensitive birds.

1 comment:

  1. as the newish owner of a bird myself, I have to admit I find this hilarious. I totally sympathize! At this point, my bird likes me (I think), but he gets so agitated when I clean the bottom of his cage I'm afraid he'll hurt himself. so then I hover over him and try to look for any signs of injury and he'd probably prefer that I just go away.

    ReplyDelete