Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Frugal Robbie


Picture of the Day for 2/3/2010. This is my nephew Robbie next to the 3-D Marine Spitfire puzzle my sister Paula and I gave him for Christmas. He completed assembling it just today. Robbie is 15 years old with the frugal soul of my 88-year old father (for whom my nephew is appropriately named). Robbie neither wants nor needs much in terms of material possessions. This is all well and good, except when it comes to Christmas presents. What follows is a typical conversation I had with Robbie during the month leading up to Christmas:

Favorite Auntie Michelle (FAM), "Robbie, what do you want for Christmas?"

Robbie, "I don't know."

FAM, "Would you like a video game?"

Robbie, "No."

FAM, "Would you like clothes?"

Robbie, "No."

FAM, "Would you like a CD?"

Robbie, "No."

FAM, "Would you like a DVD?"

Robbie, "No."

FAM, "Would you like food?"

Robbie, "No."

I could go on, but you get the idea. I was getting desperate until Robbie's mother (my sister Robynne) came up with the great idea that Robbie would like a 3-D puzzle. Yay! Finally! A good suggestion! My relief was short-lived when I realized that purchasing a 3-D puzzle complex enough for Robbie would require hours of Internet research and a bank loan. I learned a ton about 3-D puzzles during my research. For example, did you know that Wrebbit is one of the premier manufacturers of 3-D puzzles? Were you also aware that the cost for some of these puzzles is several hundred dollars? I'm an intrepid shopper so I was undaunted in my quest for a great 3-D puzzle. I eventually found the perfect puzzle through an eBay vendor. Yay! Finally! I found an affordable puzzle! My relief was again short-lived when Christmas came and went with no sign of the hard-won puzzle. I finally found it in mid-January tucked behind some furniture on the front porch. Apparently, the delivery person wanted to make sure no one would see it. Well, mission accomplished. I was lucky to stumble across it.

So, that's the saga of Robbie's 2009 Christmas present. I should probably get a head start and begin contemplating what to get him for Christmas in 2010.

2 comments:

  1. You can never start too soon on Christmas '10. However, if I get any ideas for what to get Robbie, I'm keeping them to myself. I don't think there's anything he wants that he doesn't already have. I'm thinking maybe a year's supply of Dorritos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang you for taking the Dorritos idea. That would have been a good one.

    ReplyDelete