Thursday, February 4, 2010

Farewell to Matt (aka Mat)


Picture of the Day for 2/4/2010. This is a picture of two work colleagues- Matt and Judy. Today was my last day of being Matt's supervisor as he is transferring to our Chicago office on Monday. As his supervisor, I thought it would be a nice gesture to bring a cake and organize a little office gathering to wish him well and send him on his way. Turns out executing this simple little plan was more complicated than anticipated.

First, I was planning on making a chocolate chip cake (my mother's fabulous recipe- yum), but that didn't work out since I didn't get home until after 11:00 p.m. last night- waaay too late to contemplate baking anything.

So, this morning I stopped at Glaus, my all-time favorite bakery on the planet. I asked that they write "Good Luck Matt" on the cake. The clerk helping asked if "Matt" were spelled "Mat." Ah, that would be a no. Leaving the "t" off of Matt's name would change the meaning entirely. Instead of wishing Matt well, we would be celebrating having a good luck mat. Not that there's anything wrong with that (people have all sorts of good luck charms, so why not a mat?), but it was not appropriate to the situation.

Prior to Matt's farewell gathering, we had a combined meeting with another division of our company with whom we share office space in Salt Lake City. The purpose of the meeting was for the head of our Northwest region, Kathy, to discuss the company- and region-wide goals for 2010. At the end of her presentation, Kathy asked if there were any dessert. My boss piped up and indicated we were having cake in honor of Matt's departure and I could just bring it up to the conference room for everyone to share. Eek! It was a small little cake. Barely enough for our little group. I was forced to dash the other division's hope of getting any cake, but in a politically savvy move, I did manage to snag the last piece for Kathy.
Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment