Friday, May 9, 2014

No, I Did NOT Throw My Underwear at Tom Jones

Picture of the Day for 5/9/2014. Today was the first day of Spacefest 6 and I was Tom Jones' helper today. Tom Jones the astronaut. NOT Tom Jones the singer who is famous for women throwing their underwear to him while he performs onstage. When I informed people I was helping out Tom Jones I endured quite a few underwear jokes. I assure you I behaved with perfect decorum except for when I talked him into taking a selfie with me. He was a very good sport about that. 

I loved being Tom Jones' helper and getting to know him. He appears to have an encyclopedic knowledge of EVERYTHING. Not surprising for a man who has a PhD in planetary science and is a graduate of the US Air Force Academy. But what I admired even more is how he interacted with the people who stopped by his table to chat. He made sure to ask them where they were from and to find out something about them. He usually had a story to tell that related to them. I've interacted with and helped enough astronauts at these events to know not all of them are so cordial. 



No comments:

Post a Comment