Thursday, May 22, 2014

Going on an Airboat Ride with Family

Picture of the Day for 5/22/2014. I'm here in Florida with my sister Robynne to exhibit at a speech therapy conference in Orlando, Florida. We weren't scheduled to be there until 3:30 this afternoon which left us with a few hours to kill this morning. I dragged Robynne and my niece Rachel to take an airboat ride on the St. Johns River.

The company providing the airboat rides is called Airboat Rides at Midway and their facility is almost as entertaining as the ride. There are birds, snakes, and a pot-bellied pig that reside in the gift shop.



The hour-long tour took us through very scenic areas along the river.



There are cows and horses that graze along the river.

The tour guide stopped at a wooded area so we could enjoy the peaceful stillness of the river and listen to the sounds of the birds.

There were a lot of birds on the water. I especially loved the blue herons.

We saw more alligators than I've ever seen in all the airboat rides I've taken. It was fun to see so many. Sadly, I never did get a good picture of an alligator in the water.

After we disembarked, the guide gave us an opportunity to hold a juvenile alligator named Hollywood. Good thing Hollywood's jaws were held shut by an elastic band since he was feeling a little snappish. I almost dropped him when he tried to snap at me. Rachel (pictured below) fared much better with the alligator. Robynne declined to get near the creature.

1 comment: