Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Epic Vehicle Breakdown

Picture of the Day for 5/13/2014. I was driving home from Los Angeles today when my timing belt snapped on I-15 about 15 miles south of Victorville, California. My car immediately lost power so it was a miracle I was able to cross a couple of lanes of traffic while semis were whizzing past me right and left. So, here's how the rest of my evening went.

Conversation with AAA 
Me: I'm stranded. My GPS says the closest town is Hesperia, CA.
AAA: We can't find you. What exit are you by?
Me: I don't know. I'm in the middle of nowhere.
AAA: Any landmarks you can point out?
Me: A whole lot of desert and mountains.
AAA: That's not helping.
Me: That's all I got for you. 

Conversation with Tow Truck Driver
Driver: I couldn't find you.
Me: No kidding. Apparently I couldn't identify any helpful landmarks out here in the middle of absolutely nowhere. 
Driver: Why were you driving alone? If you were my wife I wouldn't let you be driving from California to Utah by yourself. (He was actually very sweet- he was quite concerned.)
Me: Well, that's a long story...

Conversation with Mechanic at 8:40 P.M.
Mechanic: Your timing belt snapped. We'll have to do some tests to see if it damaged the engine. You're not going anywhere tonight.
Me: Can someone here give me a ride to a hotel?
Mechanic: No.
Me: OK then- how am I going to get to a hotel?
Mechanic: Taxi.

Conversation with Taxi Driver at 8:45 P.M.
Me: I don't have cash. Do you accept credit cards?
Taxi Driver: No.

Conversation with Mechanic at 8:46 P.M.
Me: The taxi won't accept credit cards and I don't have cash. Can you run my debit card and let me have some cash?
Mechanic: No.
Me: Where can I get cash?
Mechanic: The grocery store around the block.

Conversation with Mechanic at 9:01 P.M After Having Obtained Cash
Me: Can you unlock the door and let me in so I can grab my suitcase? (Seriously- they closed up shop knowing I'd be back for my things.)
Mechanic: Yes.
Me: Finally, the first "yes" of the day. (I thought this to myself.)

Conversation with Taxi Driver
Me: Uh, this isn't the address the Holiday Inn Express clerk gave me. Are we going the right way?
Taxi Driver: Yes. I'm positive.
Me: You're absolutely sure?
Taxi Driver: Yes. I'm positive.
Me: Okaaaay (I said as I was hoping for the best).
Luckily, the taxi driver was right and I was wrong in this instance. I was delivered safely to the hotel and the taxi driver received his cash in return.

Man. What a long day this has been.





1 comment:

  1. Bad enough to have this happen at all - salt in the wound to have such unhelpful people you had to deal with in trying to get things fixed! (When do you go back to get your car, anyway?)

    ReplyDelete