Monday, August 20, 2012

Launch Control Center Tour at the Kennedy Space Center


Picture of the Day for 8/19/2012. For the first time in over 30 years, the NASA Launch Control Center at the Kennedy Space Center is open for public tours. Of course I had to jump at that opportunity during my visit today. I'm starting off this blog entry with my favorite picture I took on the tour- the iconic angled windows "through which you can see mankind's future" (according to the building's architect Martin Stein).

The Launch Control Center is located right next to the massive Vehicle Assembly Building. The following are some exterior shots (and a picture of a model of the building since my exterior shots aren't great).




See the windows on the top floor at the far left of the building? That's Firing Room 4 which is where the tour took us. This is the room where the final 21 shuttle launches were controlled.

I got giddy (as a good space nerd would) seeing this sign at the entrance to the building.


On one side of the lobby is a huge mural.


And on the other side of the lobby is a wall of 152 plaques with the mission patch, launch date, and landing date for every mission launched since Apollo 4.

I took a picture of the plaques from the final three shuttle missions. I'm partial to them since I was able to witness those launches.


Up on the 4th floor, we assembled outside Firing Room 4's doors which say "The greatest launch team in the world enters through these doors."


Below is a picture of the firing room main floor.


And a picture of the windows from the firing room main floor.


We were allowed up into the "bubble" room where management oversaw the activities below.



My favorite part of the tour was being able to look out the windows towards the launch pads for the Apollo and shuttle missions. It must have been a wonderful sight to see the launches from this room.



2 comments:

  1. So is it open for tours now because the shuttle program has ended? I am glad you got to see it, but I'm still bitter about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep- the facility is open for tours now- for a little while at least. I got the impression this won't be a permanent tour option. I don't blame you for being bitter. It was fabulous! I hope you and Mike can make it out there.

      Delete