Tuesday, November 22, 2011

USS Solace


Picture of the Day for 11/22/2011. I was intrigued to read in my Uncle Wayne's obituary that during "World War ll, he served in the U.S. Navy on board the USS Solace in the Pacific." I knew that he served in World War ll, but beyond that, I've never really known any details. I've been doing Google searches on the USS Solace and have learned it was built in 1927 as a passenger vessel, purchased by the Navy in 1940, and served as a hospital ship from 1941-1946 in various locations throughout the Pacific. I wonder what life was like aboard the ship for my Uncle Wayne.

I love the two photographs below of nurses aboard the USS Solace. Whenever I see pictures of women who served during the war, I wonder if I would have been adventurous and/or brave enough to do that or if I would have been content to remain safely at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment