Tuesday, November 15, 2011

2011 Astronaut Autograph & Memorabilia Show - Day #2


Picture of the Day for 11/5/2011. My main goal for this year's astronaut autograph show was to have Scott Carpenter sign my first edition copy of We Seven written by the seven original Mercury astronauts. Carpenter and I had a nice chat the night before at the VIP Reception. He mentioned he used to be a fanatic skier so of course I had to tell him about how my dad was the very first person in the country to get a Boy Scout merit badge for skiing.


Below are pictures of my friends.

Aurora with Scott Carpenter (Mercury astronaut)


Jennifer with Dee O'Hara (NASA Nurse). I like how Dee and Jennifer are hairstyle soulmates.


Following are a whole bunch of "Me with" photographs. Since y'all know who I am, I'll just identify the non-Michelles in the pictures.

Dee O'Hara (NASA nurse) and Francis French (space historian)


Mike McCulley (shuttle astronaut)


Fred Haise (Apollo 13 and shuttle astronaut)

Funny story about this picture. Not more than five minutes after it was taken, I received the following text from my niece Lisa: "Dear favorite aunt, in the movie Apollo 13 do they die? I ask you this because you're a wee bit a space nerd and I have no Internet access." I sent her this picture as confirmation that the Apollo 13 astronauts did not die.

Eileen Collins (first woman commander of a space shuttle)

Eileen is lovely* and was the biggest draw at today's autograph show.

*I would say Eileen is one of the nicest people on the planet, but I had lunch with my sisters today who were giving me crap about my wanton overuse of the phrase. I pointed out that by giving me crap, that disqualified them from being the nicest people on the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment