Sunday, November 20, 2011

Uncle Wayne's Funeral


Picture of the Day for 11/15/2011. My dad's younger (by 14 months) brother Wayne passed away on 11/11/2011 while I was out of town in Florida. I found out about it by stumbling across a Facebook posting by my cousin Lane!

A graveside service was held for Wayne today. Five of his six children spoke (the oldest child, Stan, is in Finland). They all did a lovely job, but I have to say my favorite moment from the funeral was the dedicatory prayer offered by my uncle Bud Close. Bud prefaced the prayer by saying he was reading a standardized prayer from a pamphlet his father-in-law Irvine Merrill (Wayne's father) had given him many decades ago. Bud indicated that by doing so, Wayne's father was playing a role in his son's funeral. That brought tears to my eyes. Very sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment