Tuesday, November 15, 2011

2011 Astronaut Autograph & Memorabilia Show - Day #1


Picture of the Day for 11/4/2011. This is my third year attending the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation's Astronaut Autograph & Memorabilia Show. I started off the day by attending the Celebrating the Space Shuttle Program lunch with shuttle astronauts Hank Hartsfield, Fred Gregory, Rick Hauck, Jack Lousma & Kathy Thornton. Gregory and Thornton had flown on a mission together and they had entertaining stories to tell (mostly involving the shuttle potty).

After the lunch, I visited the Astronaut Hall of Fame museum (located six miles away from the Kennedy Space Center) where I came across the flight jacket belonging to my favorite astronaut- John Young.


At the Astronaut Hall of Fame, I tried out the shuttle landing simulator. Sadly, I never did land the shuttle successfully despite repeated attempts. Sigh.


In the evening, I attended the VIP Reception where you get to meet and greet (i.e., stalk) the astronauts. Since this is my third time attending the event, I didn't feel compelled to get pictures of me with as many of the astronauts as possible so I ended up with just a couple of photos. Below are pictures of me with Dee O'Hara, former nurse to the astronauts, and Dick Gordon, command module pilot of Apollo 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment