Tuesday, September 23, 2014

"Blossom" by Frank W. Merrill

Picture of the Day for 9/23/2014. I'm on an absolute volunteering roll. It's volunteerpalooza. I went back the care center in my neighborhood for a second time this month to participate in the Relief Society meeting for the elderly female residents. 

I told them all about my great-grandfather Franklin W. Merrill. How he was a composer, music professor, and assistant organist for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in the 1890s. How he composed the version of a Mormon hymn (O My Father) that was sung at the dedication of the Salt Lake Temple and at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. How he became deaf and ended his working career as a janitor. What a cruel irony for a musician.

After giving that background information, I played one of my great-grandfather's piano compositions called Blossom. It sounds very old-fashioned, like something you would have heard in the Victorian or Gibson Girl eras. It's a beautiful piece and I love playing it. 

I'm glad to say my presentation was a big hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment