Thursday, March 8, 2012

Sleuthfest 2012 - Day 1


Picture of the Day for 3/2/2012. I'm in Orlando attending Sleuthfest 2012- a conference for aspiring mystery writers hosted by the Florida Chapter of Mystery Writers of America. I'm pictured here with Jeffrey Deaver- today's featured guest speaker/author. When he asked me about my writing, I told him that I had just been laid off from my job of 16 years and that now was a good time to reinvent myself so why not jump into writing. His writing advice to me was to put my characters in conflict to the point they aren't sure how they will resolve their problems. Good advice.

In addition to workshops on the craft of writing, the conference has a forensics track- certainly appropriate for writers in the mystery genre. I'm pictured below with Jeff Ashton, one of the prosecutors from the Casey Anthony trial who was responsible for the forensics portion of the prosecution. His discussion was, needless to say, fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment