Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Robert I. Merrill


7/17/2011. My dad passed away today a little after 1:00 p.m. You might think that this blog entry will address how sad I am at his passing. (True, it's like a light in my life has been extinguished.) You might also think that I'm going to write about how much I loved my father. (That's true too- I was absolutely crazy about him.) You would be wrong. I'd like to talk about how irritated I am with him. He passed away six hours before I arrived home from my trip to Ohio. If he were here, I would say, "Really, you've lived for 90 years and you've lived several months past what was expected and you couldn't wait just six more hours to go? Really?" Sigh.

Actually, I'm just happy I listened to my gut which told me to make sure I fit in one last visit before I left for Florida and Ohio nearly two weeks ago. I took a picture (see above), fed him some double-dipped chocolate peanuts (a favorite treat of his), and had a nice chat about my impending travels and the fact it was the 4th of July. He took a sharp turn for the worse shortly after this and the selfish part of me is glad that my last memory of him is of a very lovely visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment