Sunday, July 24, 2011

My Dad's Viewing


Picture of the Day for 7/21/2011. We held a viewing (or "visitation" as it is called in come circles) for my dad tonight. It was a nice evening with a steady stream of well-wishers who came to honor my dad and to support the family.


Earlier in the day, my sister Paula and I had gone to the mortuary to dress my dad in his temple clothing. Having family members dress the body for burial is very much a Mormon tradition. Paula and I had done this for my mother two years ago. That experience ended badly when I made the mistake of opening up a can of Diet Coke too close to my mother. The Diet Coke spewed over her new, pristine which clothing. Oops. We were able to quickly clean it up, but I've never lived this down. As my mother's most difficult child, it seemed to be an entirely fitting final gesture from her deadbeat daughter. When I arrived at the mortuary today, I was presented with a can of Diet Coke wrapped up in a towel. The smart-alecks.

No comments:

Post a Comment