Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Anchors Aweigh


Picture of the Day for 7/4/2011. I attended a neighborhood breakfast/Independence Day celebration this morning. The event began with a tribute to the people who had served in the military. A men's barbershop choir sang a medley of songs from all branches of the military. Everyone in attendance who had served or had family members who served stood up during their particular song. When the choir launched into "Anchors Aweigh," my sister Paula and I popped up for the Navy on behalf of our dad. I have to admit I teared up. In addition to the musical tribute, there was a booklet at each table with pictures and biographies of those people in our neighborhood who had served in the military. Below is a picture of Thomas Monson, a neighbor and president of the Mormon church, in his Navy uniform from World War ll.

The event concluded with a children's parade. Very cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment