Monday, June 2, 2014

Shadow Looming Over My Dad's Grave

Picture of the Day for 6/3/2014. Apparently if you want to take a picture of your father's grave on what would have been his 93rd birthday, don't arrive as the sun is setting and casting a long shadow. It looks like a giant, menacing shadow is looming over his grave, but it's just me. I brought him his usual strawberry sundae from McDonald's to mark the occasion. I took a big bite of it first before leaving it on his grave. Payback for all those times he took overly big bites of a candy bar or dessert when I was "encouraged" to share. My mother used to get so irritated with him when he'd do that. I'd be happy to share anything with him now to have him back. OK, maybe not my chocolate, but anything else. Just kidding- I'd share my chocolate with my beloved dad! Actually, we did share a snack of chocolate-covered peanuts during my last visit with him before he passed away. We ate the chocolate while we discussed how I was off to go see the very last space shuttle launch and then see Neil Armstrong at the 2011 National Aviation Hall of Fame induction banquet. Dad was very interested in my activities. I'm glad my last visit with my dad was so companionable and he was "with it."

I posted this on Facebook and a couple of people commented I could have stood on the other side of the grave, taken the photo, and then rotated it back so it was right side up. I kind of had a "duh" moment when I read the advice. I should have thought of that, but it appears my creative problem-solving skills need some work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment