Saturday, April 19, 2014

A WASP Investigative Journey

Picture of the Day for 4/19/2014. I recently visited an aviation museum where I saw this WASP yearbook. The WASPs were approximately 1,000 Women Airforce Service Pilots who flew all sorts of military aircraft and non-combat missions during World War 2. This freed up the male pilots for combat duty. One of the WASPs, Dorothy Sorensen, was from Salt Lake City!


Since her address was listed in the yearbook, of course I had to drive past it to see what it looks like today. 7570 South State Street has turned into an industrial/commercial area and her home is no longer there.


I googled Dorothy and found that her married name is Van Valkenburg. 


More googling revealed that Dorothy is still very much alive and living in Toquerville which is a small town in southern Utah. I'm going to be driving past that area within the next month so I'm going to write to her and see if I can drop by for a visit. I'd love to talk to a WASP!

No comments:

Post a Comment