Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Making Contact with the Lunar Surface

Picture of the Day for 5/23/2013. Spacefest V opened with the usual VIP reception with the astronauts. I always get a kick out of Dick Gordon, command module pilot for the Apollo 12 mission. He's in his 80s, but I've never seen anyone with such a youthful, exuberant zest for life. And he's still VERY much a ladies man. I was getting a kick out his wild outfit (mismatched plaid jacket and shirt along with poison-green sneakers) so I wanted to get a picture taken with him.  





When I told my friend Al (who knows all the astronauts well and manages the astronaut autograph show for Spacefest), that I had snagged a picture with Dick Gordon, he asked where Dick's hands were when the photo was taken. I indicated that Dick had been very circumspect. Al thought that was unacceptable. He called Dick back over and told him I wanted a photo taken with his hand on my behind. Dick was happy to comply. As you can see from the picture below, I couldn't stop giggling. 


I posted the photo on Facebook with the following caption, "Here I am with Dick Gordon, command module pilot for Apollo 12. Guess where his hand is and why I've got a goofy grin on my face." My favorite comment on this post was the reference to him making contact with the lunar surface. So clever! Wish I had thought of that. 


The next day I printed out a couple of the pictures. I inscribed one with the following message, "Nice hands! Thanks for the thrill. XOXO Michelle Merrill."


Al delivered my autographed photo to Dick who returned the favor by with the following sentiment, "Nice butt. Thanks for the thrill! XO Dick." I think this will turn out to be the highlight of my whole experience at Spacefest this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment