Thursday, February 21, 2013

Food Storage Staples

Picture of the Day for 2/21/2013. You might have heard that Mormons are big on being prepared for emergencies. That means laying in a supply of food in case, as my niece Corinne says, things go pear-shaped (i.e., going to hell). A woman in my ward (Kathy Sager Barnes- if you're still reading my blog, that's your lovely mother Lois) has been appointed the food storage coordinator for our neighborhood which means she gently encourages food storage deadbeats like myself to quit thinking they can survive for very long on the lone jar of peanut butter they keep in the house. She gently encouraged me to come to the cannery tonight where my ward was congregating to dry pack food staples at a significant discount. It's actually a fascinating process to see how "dry" food items are canned. I helped can potato flakes and dried carrots. It was fun and I'm glad that Lois gently encouraged me to go. 

I bought a starter kit that includes rice, wheat, flour, oats, powered milk, and beans. A friend of mine asked me rather snarkily if I knew what to do with that since it sounded like "pioneer" food. The question  made me laugh. I replied that just because I choose not to cook doesn't mean I don't know how! 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle! I am still reading, and happy to hear you are prepared for a pear-shaped world. I am even happier to hear that you found the Barbie Game. A few years ago I bought a little mini replica game keychain. Just seeing the teal and pink color of the box made me nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete