Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Excellence in Aviation Awards 2012


Picture of the Day for 5/19/2012. I attended the Excellence in Aviation awards banquet hosted by the Flight Test Historical Foundation. The event was held in Los Angeles and honored the following individuals:

Excellence in Space: Dr. Buzz Aldrin & General Joe Engle



Excellence in Aviation: Colonel Joe Kittinger


I know my readers must be familiar with Aldrin, but Engle and Kittinger have also had really interesting careers. I recommend you do a google search and look them up!

I had my photo taken with both Aldrin and Engle, but my face looked puffy so out of vanity, I'm not posting those pictures.
When I was having my picture taken with Engle, I had to stop to pull my blouse back up over my shoulder since it had slipped down. He asked me what was the matter and I said "my blouse is falling off" and he said "well why didn't you tell me?!" That made me laugh.

The one picture of myself I did not mind was of me with Bob Gilliland (shown above). Gilliland is famous for having piloted the first flight of the SR-71 Blackbird, a reconnaissance aircraft used by the U.S. Air Force from 1964 to 1998. Gilliland was in attendance to give a few remarks about his friend Joe Kittinger. Gilliland was nice enough to autograph a photo of that first flight of the SR-71.


I kind of have a crush on Gilliland. He's a charmer. I also think Gilliland's son is handsome as well so I took a stealth photo of him.

I'm hoping neither the younger or senior Gilliland see this blog entry. You might think that's highly unlikely, but you'd be amazed at the people who have stumbled across my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment