Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Navy Seal Book


Picture of the Day for 8/9/2011. Costco is a dangerous place. I always end up spending more money than I intended on purely impulse purchases. This memoir of a navy seal caught my eye so I picked it up. Whenever I buy a book at Costco, I'm reminded of a lecture I attended over a year ago at a mystery writer's convention where a representative from G.P. Putnam’s Sons (a publishing house) was talking about the changing landscape of the book industry. I won't repeat the entire discussion, but the bottom line is he laments the dwindling number of independent bookstores and is alarmed that big box stores like Costco have a huge hand in determining what America reads. He's also unhappy about the proliferation of vampires in popular fiction. Hey, at least I didn't buy a vampire novel at Costco. That's something...

No comments:

Post a Comment